Pages

December 3, 2011

I'll Drink to That!...Homemade Kremas

Kremas is a cream liqueur popular in the Haitian culture.  It's usually homemade, but I'm beginning to see commercial versions of this creamy drink. In my family, my Aunt Yolene was responsible for making Kremas for every family event, and there was always leftovers to keep around when an unexpected guest popped over to say hello.  

Now, my mother just reminded me that my aunt would make a thickened syrup from heated water and sugar. I've been scouring the net looking for what looks like an authentic recipe, and everything we come across...well, just isn't. Still, the one I'm sharing with you below at least tastes as close to my Aunt Yolene's Kremas. ENJOY! 

This recipe will serve as the base for my Kremas Bread Pudding for New Year's! I've made the Kremas recipe below, but never tried a bread pudding custard with this. I'm a bit nervous, but I'm imagining a tasty result!

Ingredients

3 (12 oz) cans of sweetened condensed milk
2 (12 oz) cans of evaporated milk
1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
1 (15 oz) can cream of coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 anise star
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1 lime, zest and juice
1/4 cup Rum, I use Barbancourt Haitian Rum...and I usually put a little more depending on how I feel

Directions

Mix all ingredients in a large pot and pour into bottles.

NOTE:  I'm still searching the recipe that my Aunt use to make. Unfortunately, I can no longer ask her myself, and my Mom just doesn't remember...she was always on pastry duty! I guess that's where I get my love of all things baked from!   :-)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Were you ever able to get that recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Theresa! Thank you so much for stopping by! I'm still on a mad hunt and sadly Ma Tante Yolene's memory isn't so great.... :-( I've been trying to recreate it thinking "Well, it's just a simple syrup recipe." But mom says I haven't quite gotten it yet...The search continues...

    ReplyDelete